Tips to Help You Gear Up for Spring Break Trips
Spring Break is right around the corner! This is the perfect opportunity to take a quick trip with your family to have exciting adventures in places around the world, or just around the corner in Jacksonville’s beautiful local area. You can give your children memories that will last a lifetime in just a quick, action-packed trip.
It is important to keep those memories good ones by ensuring your Spring Break adventures stay safe and fun. Consider these safety tips as you prepare for your family holiday:
Preparing for Your Trip
- Pack the proper clothes for your expected adventures. While it’s obvious to bring along a swimsuit for a trip to the beach, many people may not consider what they’ll need most for trips to mountains, hiking trails, or deserts. Ensure you have the proper shoes, clothing, and accessories for the terrain you’ll be visiting.
- Learn basic first aid techniques. Understanding how to handle dehydration, heat stroke, insect bites and stings, sudden illness, or exhaustion can save lives. Take along a first aid kit and know the usage of the items inside it.
- Remind children never to go off alone. Assign them a buddy to stay with during hikes, excursions, and even trips through amusement parks.
- If you’re planning to hike or camp for extended periods of time, pack emergency supplies. You may find yourself unexpectedly stranded, and emergency supplies can help you survive until help arrives.
While You Travel
- For outdoor adventurers, keep an eye on the weather report. If dangerous storms are predicted, consider delaying your outdoor fun until better weather arrives.
- Educate yourself and your children on thunderstorm safety. Teach young people to discard metal objects such as umbrellas or golf clubs, and teach them where to take shelter.
- Bring plenty of clean drinking water. Dehydration can set in before you realize it. Carry more water than you think you will need, and take time to drink it regularly.
- Know the area. Know the hazardous plants and dangerous wildlife native to your chosen travel area. Be able to identify the threats, and understand how to treat the wounds those threats may cause. Teach children to leave dangerous plants and animals alone!
- Teach children what to do if they get lost. Whether they become separated from the family in a crowded amusement park or in the wilderness, getting lost can be terrifying for a child. Preparedness can help them stay calm, and ensure adults find them promptly.
While you’re away from home for your Spring Break holiday, SafeTouch can offer you peace of mind with a security systems installed with experience and knowledge. Contact us today for more information on how we can keep your home safe while you’re away making memories!