Around this time of year, there is a lot of talk about holiday spirit: which is generally accepted as a jovial outlook and goodwill toward others. However it can also be an incredibly stressful time of year. You may find yourself with a hectic schedule as you add planning trips, coordinating school events, and holiday shopping on top of your regular to-do list.
Crime rates historically spike during the holidays, so it is wise to think ahead. Whether you are leaving town for a holiday vacation, or simply driving to get a tree, you can take a few simple steps to increase your home security while you are away.
These easy tasks may seem like common sense, but they can be easily overlooked during the chaos of the season. Jot down a checklist, put it somewhere visible, and have a (mostly) stress-free holiday!
Tips for Whether You Stay Home or Go on Vacation
- Install a security system. This is at the top of the list because home security is extremely beneficial whether you are going on vacation or just in your regular routine. In fact, most burglaries occur during the day when homeowners are at work and kids are at school. It doesn’t take a special occasion for a thief to see an opportunity. Automated home security is one of your best bets when it comes to safeguarding your home and loved ones.
- Secure all windows with appropriate window locks. For people with sliding glass doors, you can utilize a rod placed in the track to prevent intruders from forcing the door open.
- Do not hide a key outside for emergencies. Instead, ask a trusted neighbor to hold the key in case of need. If you do not have such a neighbor, consider a lockbox instead.
- Secure your garage. This means things like remembering to close it when you leave – or installing a system with a geofence that automatically closes the door once you’re out of range – disabling exterior keypads, covering windows if you have them, and never leaving your garage door remote in an easy-to-steal location, like the car. Many home security systems now feature key fobs for your garage door which can be kept on your keychain and are more secure than traditional remotes.
- Add timers to lights in your home. You can even purchase timers that turn your lights on and off at random intervals, so observant thieves can’t detect a pattern. This is helpful whether you’re out of town or simply do not want would-be intruders to learn your daily schedule.
- Avoid sending cash in the mail, as it cannot be traced or refunded in the case of theft or fraud. Checks and money orders are preferred.
Tips for Keeping Your House Secure While You’re Away
- Ask newspaper companies to hold your subscription for your time away. Piled-up newspapers in the driveway indicate no one has been home to bring them inside.
- Call the post office and request a mail hold. Should you have someone to swing by and water plants or care for pets, ask them to bring the mail inside. Thieves will check mailboxes to see if the post has piled up.
- Consider renting a safe deposit box for valuables such as jewelry, firearms, cash, and important paperwork. These objects are easy for thieves to grab as they work through a home.
- Request a friendly neighbor park their car in your driveway at night. This gives the illusion that someone is home to anyone watching for an easy target.
SafeTouch For a Safer Holiday
A security system can offer you extra peace of mind while you are home or away on your holiday excursion. Contact SafeTouch Security today for more information on the right system for you!