Defending Your Home from Burglary is More Important than Ever
The 2017 preliminary Uniform Crime Reporting Statistics report from the FBI showed an overall decrease in property crime rates throughout the United States. This continues the trend from the previous year’s report. However, this report shows that the Jacksonville area continues to experience significant increases in property crimes, which includes burglary. Now, more than ever before, the need to keep your home and family safe from break-ins is something you should be concerned about.
Recent Property Crime Facts
Here are some facts to consider about home burglaries:
- A home burglary happens every 13 seconds in the United States.
- Home burglaries are more likely to occur during the day between 6 AM and 6 PM while people are working or running errands.
- The most common times for burglaries are between 10 AM and 3 PM while kids are likely to be in school.
- Warmer weather increases the likelihood of burglaries because cold and snowy weather acts as a deterrent.
- Burglars seek out homes that do not have home security systems installed.
- A home without a security system is three times more likely to be robbed.
- Nearly all break-ins require some form of forced entry, such as a kicked in door or broken window.
Habits and Motivations of Most Burglars
A study by UNC Charlotte concluded that:
- Most burglars are male and under 25 years of age.
- At least 85 percent of burglaries are committed out of desperation and by amateurs.
- Burglars consider proximity to traffic and availability of escape routes when considering a target.
- Out of the burglars interviewed, 83 percent said they looked to see if their target had a security system and 60 percent would abandon the burglary if the home had a security system.
- When occupants are at home during a burglary, 7.2 percent of burglaries could include injuries.
Burglary Risk Increases During the Summer
The U.S. Department of Justice has reported that more burglaries occur during the summer. It can also be easier for burglars to get into your home during the summer. It is more common for people to leave windows open. Because the kids are on summer break from school, many families choose to go on vacation during the summer months also.
Put the Odds Back in Your Favor
Summer is just around the corner. Is your home ready for you to go on vacation or spend time at the beach? You can fight back against property crimes, including burglaries. Learn more about keeping your home and family safe with a security system from SafeTouch Security. Call 1-844-324-2900 or click here to receive a free quote.