If you have a family living in your home, including younger kids, then odds are good that you do everything in your power in order to keep them safe and secure. One way to do this is via alarm monitoring in Tampa, which allows you to set up a security system for when your family is asleep or away from home, thereby providing you with the comforting knowledge that your home is safe and secure. However, even with the use of alarm monitoring in Tampa, there are a lot of things to be careful of throughout the house. Some of the most dangerous hazards are everyday items that you may have overlooked.
SafeTouch Security Systems has locations in Jacksonville, Tallahassee, Orlando, and Tampa, Florida and Savannah, Georgia.
The following are some hidden safety hazards that you should keep in mind:
- Hand-me-down items – You’ve probably received a few hand-me-down items from friends and family. While some things, such as clothing, are most likely perfectly safe, others are not. High chairs and car seats that are older may not meet more modern safety standards. These are the kinds of items that you should be purchasing new.
- Extension cords – Most homes make use out of extension cords in order to plug in all of their electronics. However, poor maintenance and misuse can cause serious property damage due to a spark that can lead to a fire. Extension cords should be carefully placed and not overloaded. Avoid plugging in too many electronics into an extension cord, even if you are tempted to. Extension cords that are frayed or are warm to the touch should be disposed of in a safe manner, as they are dangerous to use. If you have children or pets playing in an area where you are using extension cords, make sure to keep a close eye on them. The last thing you want is for them to chew on the extension cord, as this can cause burns and electrocution.
- Balloons – It may be tempting to purchase balloons for your children’s birthday parties. However, you should avoid doing so if they are especially young. Balloons can actually pose a serious safety hazard to children who are still prone to putting strange objects in their mouths. Once a balloon is popped, a child can try to eat it, which could cause suffocation.
- Recalled items – Toys and clothing that are proven to be a safety hazard are usually recalled immediately. However, there’s always the chance that you have purchased an item right before it has been recalled. Because of this, you should always be aware of the latest recalls. This way you can dispose of the item you have bought if it has been recalled, or attempt to obtain a refund for it. The last thing you want is for your child to be playing with a recalled item that may pose a serious danger to his or her well being.
- Window cords – Window cords are a real safety hazard for smaller children. You should strongly consider putting up cordless blinds or use some sort of tie down device in order to keep cords from dangling down low where children can reach them. Additionally, you should avoid putting your child’s playpen or crib anywhere near a window, where your child could possibly reach out and grab a cord that is dangling too low. The danger of window cords? A child can accidentally get wrapped up in one.
- Magnets – Magnets are often used in children’s toys as well as building sets and jewelry. The problem is that sometimes the magnets can fall out. The danger is that if a child swallows more than one magnet, the magnets can be attracted through one another within the intestinal walls, causing them to become trapped in place. Not only is it difficult to diagnose when something such as this happens, but it can end up causing all manner of problems, from blockages and holes to infection and even death.
- Tip-overs – One of the most dangerous safety issues in homes with small children is the potential for tip-overs. Furniture that is not secure can accidentally be pulled over by a curious child. Items that are prone to being tipped over include TV stands and shelves. Always make sure that these items are properly weighed down. You can provide additional security by attaching your shelves to the wall or anchoring furniture pieces to the ground.
- Dishwasher – The dishwasher presents a number of different hazards. A child that gets into the dishwasher could reach for knives and other sharp objects. Not to mention the dishwasher detergents, which can be poisonous if consumed.
Be sure to keep these hidden safety hazards in mind and consider a SafeTouch security system that allows for alarm monitoring in Tampa as well as the Jacksonville, Tallahassee, Orlando and Savannah areas.