When should you change your locks? Not as often as scary movie stars would have you believe. While locks are the most basic aspect of home security and the first line of defense against potential intruders, you don’t need to change them as often as you would other home maintenance items, like light bulbs or air filters in your AC. However, there certainly are times that warrant changing your locks; if you’ve never changed them, or can’t remember the last time you did, that time may be now.
Read on to learn more about when you should change your locks.
The Most Vital Times to Change Your Locks
Some life events all but require a change in entry systems. These are times when you may be vulnerable to a home intrusion, or when you reasonably suspect another person may have a key to your current doors. In these instances, an investment in new locks is money well spent.
- You have moved into a new home. Accepting the keys to a new home is one of the most exciting moments in your life. Ironically, the first thing you should do is render those keys useless. You don’t know how many spare copies of that new key are floating around. Always change your locks when you move into a new home.
- You have experienced a home invasion. You never know what a burglar might have taken. Valuables, certainly, but they may also have snatched a spare key. Or they may have damaged your current locks prying their way in. Either way, it is advisable to change your locks for additional and reasonable safety measures.
- You have gone through a divorce. No matter how friendly the dissolution of a marriage is, it is best to ensure you are the only one with access to your home.
- You or someone in your home has lost their keys. While the keys were out of your possession, you have no way to know someone did not make copies. Change your locks to ensure no unauthorized copies can be utilized for a break-in later.
Other Times to Consider Changing Your Locks
The major events in your life may seem like obvious times to change your locks, but there are other, less notable events that may also require a lock change, such as:
- A roommate moves out. Roommates may have copies of their house keys cut in case they lose the first set. They may forget to give these to you when they find their own place. Change the locks to be safe.
- Wear and tear on the old lock. Even the best-made locks wear down over time and constant use. If your lock is looking a little worse for the wear, it may be time to replace it.
- You see a new lock you like. Did you pass by an electronic entry system on display or get an ad on social media? Smart locks can integrate with other items in your home automation system, and can be controlled remotely. Worried you forgot to lock up? You can double check and lock doors remotely! Need to let in a trusted neighbor or service provider? Unlock the door for them remotely or create their own unique code. There are so many great reasons to upgrade!
SafeTouch Security Has a Lock on Security
Want more information on today’s smart locks? Interested in a door lock you can open and close from your phone? SafeTouch Security can help! We’re experts on modern security systems. Contact us today!