The holiday season is a joyful time to spend with family and friends, but always be aware of your safety while out and about.
Preventing theft requires awareness of your surroundings and some planning before you step out ofÂ the door. Check out these helpful safety tips for keeping you and your goods secure.
Staying Safe While Shopping
Whenever you’re out in public, it’s important to stay focused on where you are and who is around. Being mindful can go a long way toward keeping you safe and alerting you to any potential dangers or problems that may arise. Shop during the daytime in places that are busyâ€”it’s less likely you will be a victim of a crime if there are other people around you.
The best way to prevent yourself from being robbed is to simply carry no cash at all. Depend on a debit card or a credit card for your purchases. If you’re shopping around the holidays, you may be buying a lot of gift items, and purchases of that size can be expensive. Carrying a card instead of a large amount of cash will be convenient and prevent you from flashing a lot of money. If you do buy a lot of items, make sure you can carry them easily and can easily see your surroundings.
Other shopping tips to stay safe include:
- Dress in a way that doesn’t bring attention to yourself.
- Keep your identification on you at all times.
- Watch for strangers who approach you and try not to start conversations that may be distracting.
Keeping your House Secure
The holiday season is the best time to get back into the habit of practicing common sense home safety. Lock your doors and windows when you leave the house in order to ensure no one can get in. If you choose to go on vacation, find someone you trust to house-sit for you or check on your property occasionally.Â Home security Jacksonville alarm systemsÂ come in many sizes and price points, so consider buying one.Â While leaving your lights on for an entire vacation may be expensive, try to have your lights on timers so they’ll give the impression people are at home.
Other tips to keep your house safe:
- Don’t show off any expensive gift items, or place them so they can be seen through windows.
- When it comes to home security, Jacksonville companies may haveÂ special dealsÂ during the holiday season.
- Make sure to collect your mail regularly so strangers know someone is home.
Tips for Safety in the Street and on the Road
A car can be a great status symbol and many people love to keep their vehicles clean and looking nice. But your car also says a lot to the outside world. Avoid having your car broken into or being carjacked by being prepared. Try not to drive by yourself if you can, and don’t drive at night or while it is dark outside. When you arrive at the store, park as near to the entrance as possible–you are more likely to be in a well-lit area this way, and it is easier to get help.
Other ways to stay safe while you’re out and about:
- Use ATMs that are located inside, rather than outside, a place of business.
- Get a security guard to walk you to your vehicle if you’re alone or have reason to be worried.
- Make sure your vehicle is clean and nothing expensive is in plain view.
Be Cautious at Work and in the Office
Business owners need to keep an eye out for potential theft during the holidays, too. Anyone suspicious or who is loitering may be looking for valuables or office supplies. Make sure your security provider is aware of them and handles them accordingly. Don’t ignore people who don’t have a clear reason for being in your place of business or don’t seem interested in talking. Engaging with them and giving them attention is the surest way to get rid of them, or at least make them reconsider.
Home security Jacksonville companies often also work withÂ office alarm systems. Be careful when it comes to people working late, especially women. Make sure they have some recourse should a break-in or theft occur and can be escorted to their cars.
Other tips for office and workplace security include:
- Don’t tell coworkers or employees if you are carrying a great deal of money with you.
- Be aware of your surroundings duringÂ any other time of day when a lot of foot traffic is happening.
- Keep doors locked or place someone near them to keep an eye out.
Happy Holidays from SafeTouch Security Systems!