Going to the airport is something that few people enjoy. One of the many reasons for this is the hassle of going through the security checkpoint line. There’s nothing more aggravating than standing in a line waiting for dozens, sometimes even hundreds of people to slowly go unload their things onto a conveyer belt and walk through the metal detector. Even worse? If you’re actually in a hurry. Sometimes, due to unforeseen circumstances, you’ll get to the airport a little later than you would have liked to. Maybe you forgot to set your home security system in Orlando or elsewhere and had to double back home in order to do so.
Thankfully, there are a few ways that you can speed up the security clearance process so that you won’t be stuck in line any longer. The following are a few tips that you can use in order to get through airport security faster.
- Know the airport security rules. Do you know what’s going to slow you down? Having prohibited items in your carry-on luggage. Make sure that you know the rules concerning carry-on items while you are packing your bags. This means not having any liquids, aerosols or gel over 100mL per container in your carry-on bags. Pack them with your checked luggageÂ to avoid having to wait while security goes through your things.
- Dress to get through. There’s no reason to dress to the nines when going to the airport. Clothing and accessories that contain metal, such as belts and jewelry, are going to set off the metal detector. This willÂ result in you fumbling around to remove all metal parts from your body, holding up both you and the rest of the people in line. Additionally, wear shoes that slip off easily. You don’t want to waste time fumbling with those boots.
- Gain elite status. Most major airlines provide customers with elite status membership options. This will often let you go through priority security lines, which are shorter and quicker than the normal security lines.
- Participate in the TSA Pre-Check program. If you are an American citizen, have an elite status membership, are a NEXUS Trusted Traveler program, or SENTRI, then you can participate in the relatively-new TSA Pre-Check program. Unfortunately, being selected is random. However, if you are selected, you will be able to go through security without removing your shoes, belt or any other accessories or items from your pockets, thereby helping you to save valuable time. This program is only available for the larger airlines, and only in 20 of the larger airports around the country.
- Simply ask if you can cut in line. If you are running late for your flight and you are afraid that you will miss it, simply ask one of the TSA agents or security workers if you can cut the line in order to make your flight. They may let you go through the priority line â€“ if you ask politely!
- Be familiar with the airport’s layout. Guess what? Many airports have more than one entry point. This means that if one security line is absurdly long, you may be able to walk down to another one that won’t take as long. Just make sure that you know of another security checkpoint â€“ you don’t want to waste time wandering around an airport that only has one entry point.
- Be polite. Be polite when speaking to TSA agents. They have to deal with a lot of grumpy people waiting in line. The last thing you should do is give them any additional grief because of the inconvenience of standing in a long line. If you give them an attitude, they can easily pull you aside for questioning or for a talking to â€“ thereby wasting even more valuable time.
Use these tips to get through airport security quicker. To make sure your home is safe while flying out, consider investing in SafeTouch home security systems in Orlando or from one of our other locations. By installing a SafeTouch home security system in Orlando, you won’t have to worry about the security of your home while you are away for work or vacation.